Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Foil Packs--It's What's For Dinner!

Since I have been home the past two glorious days and I will be home for yet another one thanks to my 12 hour shift on Sunday, I have been cooking supper.  Last night, I made Nikki's Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken from the Chef in Training blog.  Let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE this blog.  And my chicken turned out great.  Hubs and I (just us two) ate a whole pack of chicken, with lettuce, cheese, and tortilla chips, and I was down a pound from the day before!  I highly reccomend it.

Tonight though, I made up my own recipe.  Well, I adapted two Kraft recipes it until they became my own recipe.  I present to you Foil Pack Chicken, Broccoli and Rice!  At the bottom I have included abbreviated directions for easy printing.  But I can't promise the abbreviated directions will be as clear as the full out version.
    
Prep Time:  about 30 min
Cook Time:  35-45 min
Total:  1 hour and 5-10 min
You will need:
1 package Tyson Trimmed and Ready Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 box Uncle Ben's Fast and Natural Brown Rice
2 teaspoons or 2 cubes chicken bullion
2 cups water
1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
The same number of rather large sheets of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil (here in the South we still call it Tin Foil) as you have chicken breasts (I happened to have 5 in my pack)

A few notes on ingredients: 
~The Tyson Thin Sliced chicken is a little more expensive (unless it's on sale), but to me is totally worth it.  I know I claim to be a good cook, but I don't like bones and I don't like trimming skin and fat.  I have better things to do with my time.  So it's totally worth it to me.  It also cooks quicker (great for grilling) and when it is on sale, you just buy extra and throw it in the freezer just like you bought it. 
~You gotta use Uncle Ben's rice.  I've tried other brands, and Uncle Ben's is the best.  Dry rice keeps, so look for it when it's on sale and Uncle Ben's always emails me pretty good coupons (like a whole dollar off).
~Everything else, go Laura Lynn, that is if you live near an Ingles.  Often, it's cheaper to get Laura Lynn than it is national brands on sale.  And almost everything is just as good as the national brand (rice, instant oatmeal and the frozen veggies you cook in the bag are an exception). 

See, lot's of Laura Lynn

To start with, you'll want to boil your water and dissolve the bullion in it.  Doesn't take much, just enough to dissolve the bullion.  When it's dissolved, pour the put the dry rice in a medium sized bowl and then pour the newly made broth over it.  Let this sit a minute so the rice can absorb some water.  You may also want to preheat your oven here to 400 degrees F.  I forgot this step and just put it in a cold oven and it turned out fine, but whatever floats your boat.  If you're cooking with a convection oven, you may want to make sure that there are only two racks with ample space between because I had to use two cookie sheets.

Now onto a concept called mis en place.  As I learned from a teacher who studied at Le Cordon Bleu in France, this means, "everything in place."  This is the quickest way to put these packets together.  Mis en place is not quite as essential here as it would be as if you were battering and frying the chicken, but it makes life a whole lot easier.  To have enough room, I moved from the kitched to the adjoining dining room.
There are my sheets of tin foil, my broccoli, cheese, opened mushroom soup with a spoon and my rice with a spoon.  My cookie sheet is in the middle and I have the tin foil molded into little bowls.  The rice mixture is runny, you want tin foil bowls.  Now what's missing?  Oh yeah, the chicken.  The chicken needs to keep it's slimy self somwhere that can be disinfected.  In this case, it's on a dinner plate in the sink.  Raw chicken is notorious for carrying Salmonella, a nasty bacterial species that causes...uh...digestive distress.  That's why the waitress will never ask you if you want your chicken cooked rare.  Always, ALWAYS disinfect any surface that the raw chicken comes in contact with and try to touch as few things as possible after touching raw chicken.  Use your elbow to pump soap and such as that.  I'm not a germ-o-phobe, but Salmonella is one thing I don't play around with.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

Now, back to the food.  You may want to spray each sheet of tin foil with Pam, or you could use this little baby.

This is my Misto.  A refillable olive oil sprayer.  It's aerosol free.  Just pour in the oil, pump it up, and spray.  Now of course it doesn't spray as evenly and as long as an aerosol can, but considering you know exactly what you are spraying (have you ever wondered what Pam really is?  I don't know.) and there are no Chloro fluoro carbons (CFCs) eating a hole in the ozone layer. 
Ok, after you have sprayed the tin foil, divide the rice AND water in the rice among the 5 sheets of tin foil.  There's no exact science to this, just guess at it.  Then put about 1 small spoonful of mushroom soup on top of this.  You'll use about half the can of soup for all five packs.  After that, go get your chicken.  Put one chicken breast on each rice pile.  Now go put the plate the chicken was on in the sink and wash your hands.  Then spray the plate and sink down with Clorox, or whatever you use to disinfect.  Let that sit a while.  It'll be ok.  Go back to your packets and plop a spoonful of mushroom soup on top of the chicken.  Spread it around if you like, it'll make the broccoli and cheese stick better.  But don't lick the spoon when you're done!  Throw that in the sink too!  Remember, raw chicken juice.  Now sprinkle a handful of broccoli on top of the chicken and rice and soup.  It uses about the whole bag.  And then definitley sprinkle the whole bag (2 cups) of cheese on top of that.  Here's what you'll have:
Mmmm, now doesn't that look good?  No, not really right now.  Here comes the magic.  Very carefully fold up two sides of the foil and fold them over together.  I say carefully because you don't want rice juice spilling everywhere.  Then carefully fold up the sides.  Don't wrap it up too tight, make sure there's enough room for steam to circulate.  Then place the pack on the cookie sheet.  When you're done, your cookie sheet will look like this:
So neat and tidy!  Now, as I said before if you have a convection oven you can cook these at the same time, if not, cook them in batches or get a bigger cookie sheet.  I suppose you could just place them directly on the racks, but it makes getting them out harder. 


Let these babies cook for 35 to 45 minutes, until the chicken is done.  If you use bigger pieces of chicken, cook them longer.  These took about 45 minutes and weren't over done. 

When they are done, pull them out and serve them directly on dinner plates.  Don't unwrap them before serving.  Let your...ahem...patrons...carefully unwrap them.  They are full of hot steam that will burn your fingers if you aren't careful.  I guess if you have little ones, you should unwrap theirs for them, but leave it in the tin foil.  That's part of the fun of eating them.  Then when you're done, ball up the tin foil and chunk in the trash can basket ball style.  No scraping dishes or plates!  

Hubs ate two.  They are really more food that what each looks like.  It went down pretty easy.  With a little sweet tea of course!     

Printer Friendly (copy and paste into your word processing software):
Prep Time:  about 30 min
Cook Time:  35-45 min
Total:  1 hour and 5-10 min
You will need:
1 package Tyson Trimmed and Ready Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 box Uncle Ben's Fast and Natural Brown Rice
2 teaspoons or 2 cubes chicken bullion
2 cups water
1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
The same number of rather large sheets of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil (here in the South we still call it Tin Foil) as you have chicken breasts (I happened to have 5 in my pack)

Preheat oven to 400 F
Boil water and dissolve bullion in water
Pour boiling water over dried rice in medium sized bowl
Spray tin foil sheets with Pam or oil
Divide rice among tin foil sheets
Put 1 spoonful of mushroom soup on top of rice
Put 1 chicken breast on top of mushroom soup
Put 1 more spoonful of mushroom soup on top of chicken
Put a handful of broccoli on top of mushroom soup
Divide 2 c. cheese among each packet.
Fold up each packet and bake at 400 F for 35-45 minutes. 

Enjoy your cheesy chickeny goodness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...