Friday, May 13, 2011

Beanie Burgers?

So in my long dreamer post, I think I forgot to mention that I love cooking.  I include cooking in the list of things that I really think I'm good at.  I don't get to do this much since I'm on second shift.  I could cook for lunch and refrigerate leftovers, but then Dave just pulls it out of the refrigerator and eats it cold.  This does not do justice to my art.  So I don't usually do it.  I will however make Crock Pot meals.  I have become a Crock Pot Princess. 


But Dave has been on a diet.  He won't eat simple carbs.  So no bread, no noodles, no potatoes.  This limits me.  My maiden name is Patterson, we don't eat unless we have bread and/or potatoes.  So in an effort to make something besides roast beef with carrots and onions, I decided to make chili.

But I don't like my Mama's chili.  It's one of the few things that my Mama makes that I don't like.  But I do love her baked beans.  Boy, do I love her baked beans.  But baked beans have brown sugar, and bacon.  

So...I took the best of both worlds and made Beanie Burger (instead of Beanie Weenie) Chili

You will need:
About 1 lb ground beef
1 good sized Vidalia onion chopped finely (I did this in a food processor)
About 2 tblspns olive oil (for cooking the onion in)
1 big can of Pork 'N' Beans (don't drain, put all the goodness in there)
1 regular sized can kidney beans (drained)
1 regular sized can lima beans (drained)
1 regular sized can big white butter beans (drained)
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles (I only put 1 can for the first go around, I would really like it spicier, so next time I'll put 2)
1 can diced tomatoes for chili (didn't know they made this, but here it is)

About 1/4 cup honey mustard (this gave it some sweet without adding straight sugar)
About 3/4 to 1 cup ketchup (I just added and tasted, if you want it tangier, add more, milder, add less)

Directions:
Brown ground beef like you would for spaghetti or tacos or whatever until it is done.  While this is going on, add all the beans, Rotel and chili seasoned 'maters to the Crock Pot and mix well.  When the ground beef is done, drain in a colander, but don't scrape all the drippings out of the pan.  Put the ground beef in the Crock Pot with the beans.  Throw the chopped onion in the pan with the drippings and add the olive oil.  Sautee the onion until it's mostly clear, then throw that in the Crock Pot too.  Then add your honey mustard and ketchup and mix it all together.  I'll admit, at this point, it doesn't look like the best tasting thing on the planet.  Don't worry, just put the lid on the Crock Pot and turn on low for about 6 hours.  This time can vary since everything in there is already fully cooked, but, of course, the longer you cook it, the better it tastes.  Leftovers can be refrigerated and Dave said it was even better the next day.

A word of warning though.  Consider the vast amout of fiber loaded beans in there.  Don't eat half the Crock Pot full in one night!  It won't end well... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...