Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blueberry Fro-Yo

I finally have time to post the long awaited Blueberry Fro-Yo (or Frozen Yogurt) recipe!  I've had so many other rather time sensitive things to blog about, and I have so much more for the next few days that I was really starting to wonder when this would happen.  And I also have lots of pictures.  I love picture recipes.  So without further ado, here it is.

Blueberry Fro-Yo

Makes about 1 quart of frozen yogurt
You will need:
1 pint of fresh blueberries
                                                                                   
1-500g container of Greek Yogurt (I used fat free and the 500g can vary a bit) 

2/3 cup of sugar

And that is it!

Directions:
Wash your blueberries and place them in a food processor.  Chop them up to the consistency that you want.  I don't like big chunks, so I pureed them pretty fine.
Then add the sugar to the food processor and chop some more until the sugar is well incorporated.  It should start to form a syrup.  Let that mixture sit in the food processor while you dump the Greek yogurt into a medium mixing bowl.  Next pour the blueberry mixture into the bowl with the yogurt and mix well.  Greek yogurt is about the same consistency as sour cream, so make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl while mixing.  I know to do this from experience.  After mixing, it should look like this:

At this point you can taste to see if you have enough sugar.  I find the 2/3 cup works fine, but the yogurt is pretty tart and some people may want a bit more sugar.  Now dump this into your ice cream/frozen yogur/sorbet churn.  Hubs bought this new toy for just such an occasion:

It's a Cuisinart 2 quart frozen dessert maker.  We got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I think it's about $80, but we used on of their trusty 20% off coupons.  No ice or salt required.  You just stick the bowl of the churn in a big freezer bag, then put it in the freezer.  The bowl turns as opposed to the paddles turning to churn the yogurt.  The bowl goes in the base, then the paddles go in the bowl, then the lid goes on top.  Just turn the knob on the front and it starts churning.  It's really quiet too.  Anyway, here's what the mixture looks like before it's frozen:

Then when it's frozen, the yogurt just sticks to the paddles and doesn't burn a motor up.  Like this:
Not the best picture, I know, but this was done at about midnight, so forgive me.  Just remove the lid and the paddles and scoop out your goodness!  I will recommend not using a metal spoon to scrape the goodness off the sides of the churn.  We accidentally scratched it a bit trying to do this.  And it takes a while for the churn to thaw and for the yogurt to melt away, so we used an ordinary plastic spoon (the kind you eat with at cookouts and family reunions) to get it off.  Very carefully, might I add.  Hubs sat on the couch with the churn and a pot holder (because the churn is so cold) practically licking the bowl.  He can do away with a whole quart in one sitting.

2 comments:

  1. oooo i definitely have to try this...my husband will adore it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I didn't know the frozen dessert maker existed! I should probably add one to my wish list :) My kids would love your blueberry fro-yo. They are both huge blueberry fans and yogurt fans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...